You can download this vector infographic for free. Please use a form below. If you want – You can make a contribution by sending every amount of money you like.
When you start to create passive income using passive income ideas. (remember the rule: Passive income > Living Expenses), you will definitely need a logotype. Good logo can be extremely helpful with your journey. Good logo is:
What is a logo?
To understand the power of a good logotype, you need to know what logo is. Wikipedia describes logo as:
A logo (logotype) is a graphic mark, emblem, or symbol commonly used by commercial enterprises, organizations and even individuals to aid and promote instant public recognition. Logos are either purely graphic (symbols/icons) or are composed of the name of the organization (a logotype or wordmark).
Logo is not only the graphic symbol. It usually contains name of company and / or other words. Logo can be almost everything – from graphic to individual quote.
The process of designing creative logos is complicated. I’ve always recommend to leave the creation process to professionals. But the first step – idea and “skech” should be yours. It simplifies all the processes. Of course when you are creative you can design some logos, upload them somewhere and show them to pros.
You will find 10 key tips for Designing Logos below. I’m in design environment since 2003, so I’ve learned a lot about the process of creating good logotypes. Since 2003, the design ideas changed at least 3 times (old logos -> web 2.0 logos -> “webby, techy, sexy” logos -> mixed styles). I really think that this post will be very helpful for you.
Before we start…
Sources of inspiration
Don’t think alone. See the ideas of other people first. Learn from them to avoid mistakes. To start, use thematic blogs, portfolios good work schedules,and (above all) sites with a set of logos. Here are some of them:
Rozpoczynając projekt nad logiem wykorzystaj blogi tematyczne, prace na portfolio dobrych grafików, a także (przed wszystkim) serwisy ze zbiorem logotypów. Oto kilka z nich:
LogoPond – I am ALWAYS using that site. I remember the start of Logopond and this site helps me at least 10 times..
Brands of the World – I recommend BotW as a good base of completed logos (in vector format ready to download)
Logo of the day
We’ve got an idea. What next?
At this point you have two options: You can start with a sketch on a piece of paper or designing directly on your PC. If the project is less significant and you want to do it quick, you can start working immediately on your computer. I think the best logos comes from paper first (you are more creative this way and your projects can be analyzed faster.
1. I need a good logo. Let’s start from scratch on paper:
Good choice. Take a pencil and eraser (you will use “undo” often). Start with simple, black-and-white sketches (logo in the form of a square, circle, idea of the font) to rethink the position of all items. Take a few sketches. Choose the best and add details to them (more accentuated, but not perfect logo, the appropriate font). It‘s a start. Discuss with someone about your sketch. If everything looks fine take the next step.
2. My logo should be simple. I will start my work on computer:
Ok, no problem. Start to designing in software for vector graphics (Illustrator, Corel, etc., Not in Photoshop!) Use CMYK color palette. Working on multiple logos I came to the conclusion, that the best option is to create a large workspace and place on it all the inspiring graphics you’ve download. Place all the files next to each other – it will help you a lot and you will see everything at once. After that, start the process of creating a black and white logo. Shades of gray are ideal to create a composition and highlight.You can create color later. Select 2 – 3 best sketches (too much is not good – you will have a headache trying to choose the best one). After choosing the winner, save the graphic and send it to the professionals for verification. If they like your work that means you in heaven. Good luck.
10 important tips for designing logos:
- Think carefully about the idea. What is your subject? You logo needs to be as simple as possible. Note that the logo will be identifical sign with the company.
- Create an interesting eye-catching element (graphic symbol or letter in the form of a character).
- Take care of aesthetics and detail. Example: If you want to show the dynamics, growth, you can use the arrow, where the tip goes directed to the right and up. Other direction of the arrow is misinterpretation of the whole logo!
- The logo MUST be simple, clear and scalable (i.e, visible both in a miniature version, as well as large-scale)
- Use fewer colors. For printing the best way is to use 2-3 max. For Web – you can use full color version of the logo.
- Design the way I presented above. Your logo will be better, and certainly the design will take less time.
- NEVER COPY! Do not ever copy someone’s work. This is unethical, punishable and can provide a lot of problems.
- Apply the appropriate font. Typography and kerning type are the most important factors in the logo design. If the logo needs to have professional look, use of non-serif fonts (Helvetica). In any case, think carefully about what font will be corresponded best. NEVER use Comic Sans! Play around and combine 2 different family types together. Never use two similar fonts or sizes.
- If the inscription in the logo is small (less than 6 points) – you must use black color or shades of gray (only K, no CMY). Otherwise, in print you will see some problems.
- Do not invent the wheel again. It’s in this maxim is that you do not invent everything yourself. Other people have a lot of great ideas, fonts, well-chosen color – use them, but be careful – do not steal! Use other projects as an inspiration.
These are some information from me. I encourage you to participate in the discussion. Perhaps you know some other, more interesting ideas / links / inspiration, or want to know something? With great pleasure to answer any questions 🙂 In the end, we are all here to help 🙂